Let’s be real—the lifestyle of healthcare workers is one-of-a-kind. When most people hear the term “lifestyle shoe,” they probably aren’t imagining a lifestyle of 12-hour shifts and responding to codes and rapids. But just because the healthcare lifestyle is unique doesn’t mean that lifestyle shoes are a bad choice for healthcare workers. On the contrary, these types of shoes might just be exactly what you need.
But what is a lifestyle shoe exactly? The short answer is that lifestyle shoes and sneakers are footwear built specifically to blend comfort and style, serving as a perfect balance between casual kicks and high-performance athletic treads.
Are lifestyle shoes enough to meet your needs as a healthcare worker? In this guide, we’ll discuss what lifestyle shoes are best for and what feet-fancy features they offer.
The Lifestyle Shoe Defined: What Makes for a Good Lifestyle Shoe?
As the world of footwear grows more diverse—house shoes, running shoes, sandals, and sneakers are just some of the many options available—figuring out what are lifestyle shoes and what aren’t can feel a bit confusing, so let’s explore some key features of lifestyle shoes.
Unlike an athletic shoe or a running shoe, which are designed for more strenuous activities like running or hiking, lifestyle shoes gracefully embody the concept of "athleisure." They’re meant to provide sound orthopedic support to your feet without causing you to feel like you’re clunking around in a pair of bricks.
Here are a few key characteristics that infuse life into lifestyle shoes:
- Absolute comfort – It’s what we want from all of our footwear, whether it's a walking shoe, running shoe, or lifestyle shoe; to say goodbye to aches and pains after a long day on our feet. Lifestyle shoes like Clove Classics prioritize comfort, agility, and podiatric health. They’re built with double-cushioned insoles and upgraded arch support for an immediate difference you can feel.
- Style with a purpose – It makes sense that lifestyle shoes should reflect, well, your lifestyle! Clove’s diverse range of designs means you’re sure to find a pair that matches your personal style preferences.
- Intentional design – Quality lifestyle shoes meet the unique needs of your everyday life. More than just a fashion sneaker, lifestyle shoes should integrate performance-driven features that make your busiest days feel easy. For instance, CloveTech mesh fabric is liquid resistant, regulates heat, and keeps your feet protected and dry.
When answering the question, “what is a lifestyle shoe,” it’s good to keep in mind that the category is actually quite broad. From sneakers to slip-ons, and even slip-on sneakers, the main thing that lifestyle shoes have in common is that they blend comfort and style, adding a touch of flair to the daily grind.1
Features of Lifestyle Shoes for Healthcare Workers
As we said earlier, the healthcare lifestyle is certainly a unique one. While it’s true that anyone can benefit from a good pair of lifestyle shoes, there are a few questions that healthcare workers specifically should consider when it comes to deciding on the right lifestyle footwear:2
- Are your lifestyle shoes fitted with slip-resistant outsoles and a snug heel collar? – Superior traction, fluid-channeling outsoles, and heel collar stability are key safety features that each contribute toward keeping you steady and on your feet during those particularly hectic shifts.
- What material are your lifestyle shoes made of? – As a healthcare worker, your sneakers shouldn’t be afraid of a little fluid—or a lot. For this reason, fluid-resistant, featherweight, and easy-to-clean materials are paramount, whether you’re a phlebotomist or technologist.
- Do your lifestyle shoes provide the necessary support to match your unique foot? – Upgraded, personalized arch support, plush heel pads, and cradling midsoles should work together to keep your feet feeling snug, secure, and comfy well into and beyond your longest shift.
- Are your lifestyle shoes easy to put on and take off? – Every second counts when you’re on the floor, so being able to slip into and out of your shoes is not just convenient—it’s crucial.
By asking these questions, you’ll be better equipped to determine what is a lifestyle shoe that can best enhance your quality of life. Whether you're involved in patient care, veterinary medicine, or otherwise, finding the perfect pair of lifestyle shoes tailored to your specific needs can make all the difference for you and your feet.
When Would You Wear Lifestyle Sneakers?
We’ve talked a lot about lifestyle shoes, but what are lifestyle sneakers? This flexible category of lifestyle shoes has emerged as a top pick for healthcare heroes seeking the perfect blend of style, comfort, and performance.
Here are a few instances where lifestyle sneakers truly shine, supporting you in both your professional and personal life:
- Work shifts – When you're on the front lines of patient care, you need casual footwear that can keep up. Lifestyle sneakers provide the perfect blend of support, cushioning, and durability. Easy to slip on at a moment’s notice, lifestyle sneakers empower you to face the challenges of your profession head-on while maintaining optimal convenience and comfort.
- Off-duty play – After a long day at work, you deserve some time to unwind and recharge. Lifestyle sneakers transition seamlessly into your off-duty hours, offering the ideal combination of relaxation and style. Whether you're meeting friends, running errands, or pursuing your passions, these sneakers can be your trusted companions, providing the support and flair you deserve.
- Everyday wear – Lifestyle sneakers are not confined to just work and play. They effortlessly integrate into your everyday wardrobe, elevating your style quotient wherever you go. From trendy athleisure outfits to casual-chic ensembles, lifestyle sneakers add a touch of sophistication and practicality, exuding fashion-forward vibes without compromising on comfort
So, if you’re asking yourself, “what are lifestyle sneakers bringing to my wardrobe,” rest assured that these versatile kicks are built to meet the demands of a dynamic lifestyle. That’s especially true of Clove’s lifestyle shoe selection.
Whether you prefer lifestyle sneakers that match your scrubs or you’d rather stand out in vibrant contrast with colorful sneakers for men or colorful sneakers for women, Clove empowers you to stride through the day with confidence and colors that express your style.
Are Lifestyle Sneakers the Same as Performance Sneakers?
Just as important as knowing what lifestyle sneakers are and when you should wear them is knowing when you shouldn’t wear them. Lifestyle sneakers and lifestyle shoes are different from performance footwear. This means they’re not necessarily the be-all, end-all solution for your feet.
So, before you start clearing out your shoe closet, double-check that you aren’t planning to regularly use lifestyle shoes for activities like:
- Running and jogging
- Intensive workout sessions
- Other high-intensity activities (like hiking, marathons, etc.)
The reason lifestyle shoes are not ideal in these cases is simply due to the biomechanics of how your feet and legs work.
Just like sunglasses can’t replace safety glasses, lifestyle sneakers can’t replace performance sneakers. Lifestyle shoes are lighter and designed differently, making them best suited for light to moderate everyday activities. On the other hand, more intensive activities require specialized shoes that help prevent injury and strain on the body.3
Meet Clove’s Healthcare Lifestyle Shoes
From versatile slip resistance to easy maintenance and enhanced arch support, Clove’s lifestyle shoes are built with a range of features that prioritize your comfort, safety, and well-being as a healthcare worker. They’re casual footwear that does it all. Kind of like you.
Looking to learn more about the different types of shoes? We have resources that answer questions like “what are walking shoes” and ones that even explore the differences between walking shoes vs running shoes.
At Clove, we aim to meet your unique lifestyle needs every step of the way—inside and outside the hospital, day or night—and as always, with love.
- Sports ‘n Hobbies. What are athleisure shoes? https://www.sportsnhobbies.org/what-are-athleisure-shoes.htm
- The Toe Bro. The Role of Athletic Footwear in Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle. https://blog.thetoebro.com/blog/the-role-of-athletic-footwear-in-maintaining-a-healthy-lifestyle
- That Running Thing. What is the Difference Between Sneakers and Running Shoes? https://thatrunningthing.com/what-is-the-difference-between-sneakers-and-running-shoes/